Supporting Teaching and Learning Apprentice Level 3 – Elements Primary School (LS10 4WR)
What will the apprentice be doing?
Purpose of the post:
- To work under the direct instruction of teaching/senior staff, usually in the classroom with the teacher.
- To support access learning for pupils and provide general support to the teacher in the management of pupils and the classroom.
- Provide general support to staff and pupils, including preparation and routine maintenance of resources/equipment.
Duties and responsibilities:
Support for pupils:
- Attend to the pupils’ personal needs and implement related personal programmes, including social, health, physical, hygiene, first aid and welfare matters.
- To supervise and support pupils ensuring their safety and access to learning.
- Establish good relationships with pupils, acting as a role model and being aware of and responding appropriately to individual needs.
- Promote the inclusion and acceptance of all pupils.
- Encourage pupils to interact with others and engage in activities led by the teacher.
- Encourage pupils to act independently as appropriate.
- Support pupils in accessing learning activities as directed by the teacher.
Support for the Teacher:
- Prepare the classroom as directed for lessons and clear afterwards and assist with the display of pupils’ work.
- Be aware of pupil problems/progress/achievements and report to the teacher as agreed.
- Undertake pupil record keeping as requested and other basic record keeping.
- Support the teacher in managing pupil behaviour, reporting difficulties as appropriate.
- Gather/report information from/to parents/carers as directed.
- Provide clerical/administrative support e.g., photocopying, typing, filing, collecting/recording money etc.
- Ensure the maintenance of a clean and orderly working environment.
- Timely and accurate preparation of routine equipment/resources/materials as set out in instructions.
- Assist the teacher with learning activities ensuring health and safety and good behaviour of pupils.
Support for the Curriculum:
- Support pupils to understand instructions.
- Support pupils in respect of aspects of learning with the curriculum.
- Support pupils in using basic ICT as directed.
- Prepare and maintain equipment/resources as directed by the teacher and assist pupils in their use.
- Monitor and arrange orderly and secure storage of supplies.
- Operation of everyday equipment in accordance with instructions.
- Maintenance of everyday equipment, check for quality/safety
Undertake simple repairs and report other damages.
About the Employer
We are a brand-new primary school in South Leeds which opened in September 2018. At Elements Primary School we provide the best education for all our pupils in a happy, caring and healthy environment. We provide a broad, balanced and creative curriculum that is stimulating and challenging, preparing children for life in modern Britain. Success is achieved in close partnership with pupils, parents, carers, governors and other members of our multicultural community. At Elements Primary School We ensure that everyone in our school is treated with respect and dignity. Each person in our school is given fair and equal opportunities to develop their full potential with positive regard to gender, ethnicity, cultural and religious background, sexuality and disability. We are privileged to be part of Wellspring Academy Trust who believes that every school is unique, because it has a unique history; it serves a unique community context and is full of unique individuals. We value and celebrate the unique identities of our schools. We encourage them to innovate, create and develop their uniqueness because we want others to learn from them. Elements Primary School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of our pupils, and expects all staff, Governors and volunteers to share this commitment. The successful candidate will be subject to an enhanced DBS check. We promote diversity and want a workforce, which reflects the population and communities of Leeds.
Things to Consider
You will be expected to be flexible with the working hours to ensure ratios are maintained. During the year you will be expected to participate in additional events out of the normal working hours, for example, parent’s evening and Open days. There is a degree of lifting and carrying that you will need to be able to carry out. This school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. There is a requirement to submit to an enhanced Criminal Records Bureau background check. For further information on the ANMW, please refer to: https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
Elements Primary School
Elements Primary School
Monday - Friday, 08:30 - 17:30
What You Need
GCSE or equivalent English (Grade C/4 or above) Essential
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade C/4 or above) Essential
- Communication skills
- IT skills
- Attention to detail
- Customer care skills
- Team working, Initiative
- Non judgemental, Patience
- Flexible and adaptable
- Commitment to all CPD offered
- Knowledge of interventions
- Relevant experience
- Ability to respond calmly
- Able to relate with children