Butchery Apprentice – Thornton’s Bakehouse and Butchers Ltd – (Y061 3AF)
This is a great opportunity for the right candidate to complete a
Butchery Apprenticeship and to start an exciting new career. You’ll join our thriving business with the opportunity to learn new skills. Our friendly and experienced team will guide and train you so no previous experience in necessary.
The team will teach you how to be a butcher, a skill you will have for life. You’ll develop skills in carcass butchery on beef, pork and lamb; Sausage making and bacon curing; Value added butchery; creating ready to cook meals and excellent customer service skills.
No experience necessary however some interest in food, cooking and butchery would be an advantage.
What will you get?
- You will work through a programme of learning with the support of the team and an assessor
- A nationally recognised qualification
- In-depth product knowledge and butchery skills
- Fantastic customer service skills
- Increased confidence and ability in dealing with the public
We can offer:
- A progressive and friendly working environment
- Favourable hours (Daytime hours only) A commitment to your ongoing support, training and development with allocated time to complete your course You gain valuable hands-on experience working whilst you learn, which will help you to progress into a Butchery Assistant role within our team.
This opportunity would suit a school or college leaver looking to start a new career.
About the Employer
Now then! We’re Thornton’s Bakehouse & Butchers, a Bakery and Butchers located in the busy market town of Easingwold, in the heart of rural North Yorkshire. We’re a third-generation family run business, owned by John Thornton, the son of Geoff from Thornton’s Butchers which used to sit in Easingwold marketplace. We specialise in handcrafted Pork Pies, Pastries and quality, local Meats.
Things to Consider
Please review the current Apprenticeship National Minimum Wage guide (ANMW): https://www.gov.uk/national-minimumwage-rates
Training to be Delivered
Level 2 Butchery Apprenticeship Standard
Training to be Provided:
Butchery is a highly skilled profession steeped in tradition and butchers will display understanding about a range of meat species and the various techniques needed to process and/or produce products. In addition, butchers will be able to cut, prepare, package and present meat products to the standards required of the business and specialist needs of commercial and/or consumers. Butchers will have a range of skills, knowledge and behaviours that can lead to rewarding careers in the butchery industry, not only in the UK but across the world.
Butchers will work towards developing core knowledge, skills and behaviours then they will specialise in either retail butcher or process butchery.
Knowledge & Skills gained from this apprenticeship:
- Full awareness and adherence to health and safety regulations
- Carrying out a range of practical butchery skills
- Production of meat and or poultry products
- Using machinery and other relevant equipment
- Working as a team to meet deadlines
- Maintaining product quality
- Coaching and mentoring to support workforce development
- Effective communication with customers, suppliers and colleagues
Qualification: Apprentices must achieve the following (prior to taking the end-point assessment):
Award in Food Safety for Manufacturing (Meat and Poultry)
Award in Proficiency in Meat and Poultry Industry Skills
Thornton's Bakehouse & Butchers
Tuesday Saturday 7/6am-3pm One day per week at college
What You Need
No previous experience required
We will fully train the right individual
To join the team, you will:
- Have a positive ‘can do’ attitude, be highly organised and have the ability to effectively prioritise
- Be able to go above and beyond for our customers on a daily basis and maintain a friendly, welcoming atmosphere Be a team player and possess good communication skills
- Be flexible and able to work one day at the weekend
- Be enthusiastic about local produce, have a passion for great quality meat and enjoy interacting with the general public Have an interest in the food industry and or farming
Move from apprentice to Butcher at our organisation and become a full time member of the team.