Apprentice Junior pizza & prep chef – Well Oiled LTD (LS6 4HQ)
Production chefs work as part of a team in time-bound and often challenging kitchen environments, for example; schools, hospitals, the Armed Forces, care homes and high street casual dining or pub kitchens. They report to the Senior Production chef or appropriate line manager. Production chefs are likely to work with centrally developed standardised recipes and menus, producing food often in high volumes. They apply highly methodical organisational skills, energy, accuracy, attention to detail and are mindful of the importance of sustainability and protecting the environment.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Being a good human
- Setting up the kitchen prior to opening
- Making, storing, proving, and baking focaccia dough
- Using a deck oven to cook our pizzas
- Assisting with marinating, cutting, fermenting, pickling and precooking foods
- Helping to clean the kitchen before the restaurant closes
- Cleaning and sanitising the kitchen area with warm water and detergent
- Wrapping unused items, labelling, and storing food in proper areas at the end of a shift
- Ability to work under pressure and in a fast-paced environment
- Food safety level 2 a plus but not a deal breaker
About the Employer
We love flavour, first and foremost. Next up is pizza. So we’ve spent the last 18-months making countless mistakes in the pursuit of developing the perfect artisan focaccia dough for our Detroit Style Pizzas (DSP).
Well Oiled is independent, founder-owned, run by people that know & love this industry and want to celebrate working in hospitality as a joy and something to be proud of. Whilst you’ll report into the kitchen manager, you’ll also work closely and spend time with the founder and get to see how the rest of the business functions.
Things to Consider
You’ll work with artisan dough, so early mornings will be a thing now and again
Ability to commute/relocate: Leeds, LS6 4HQ: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
Please review the current Apprenticeship National Minimum Wage guide (ANMW): https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
Training to be Delivered
Knowledge & Skills gained from this apprenticeship:
- maintain excellent standards of personal, food and kitchen hygiene
- ensure compliance to procedures, menu specifications and recipes.
- produce food meeting portion controls, and budgetary constraints
- adapting and produce dishes to meet special dietary, religious and allergenic requirements
- follow, complete and maintain production schedules, legislative and quality standard documentation
- use specialist kitchen equipment
- communicate internally and externally with customers and colleagues
- commit to personal development activities
The apprenticeship is aligned to professional recognition from Employers within the Food and drink sector.
The end-point assessment is synoptic and takes place at the end of the apprentice’s learning and development, after a minimum of 15 month’s on programme learning. It will consist of an On-demand test, a practical observation, this is then followed by a professional discussion. These are carried out after the apprentice has met the required criteria to pass the Gateway process. The apprenticeship is graded a pass, distinction or fail based on performance in the end-point assessment.
607 Meanwood Rd
Opening times Tue - Sunday 12pm - 9:30pm. Rotas TBC
What You Need
Ideally level 2 food safety but we can cover funding this training if you don’t have
Previous experience working with dough is a bonus, but not essential
- Must have passion for fresh food
- Time keeping Qualifications & Skills
- Passion for (good) food
- Desire to learn
- Previous kitchen experience
- Good time management
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- willing to give things a go
- takes pride in what they do
- wants to learn & progress
Plenty – the plan is to open our first, full site in Leeds in 2023 with a view to open 4 further sites in key northern cities. We’re a start-up with a vision to grow a respected, well thought of, successful pizza business. Whoever joins now gets in at the first floor, ready to move on up.